Producing a Page - Page 5
This post outlines some of my thinking around page 5.
For the main panel, the plan was to paste in one I had already drawn for the 4 page version. Once again, this needs some refinement to work at that size. I've already redrawn a line art version of the horseman painting, so I'll replace that with that. The original version I'll use for the earlier scene when Uccello is talking about it to his wife, and they are just imagining the painting - it'll make sense there to be impressionistsic, as i their inexact memory of it. The figures need reworked. I may start by doing just the two (literally and narratively) central figures, on the basis that there is a logic to the others being 'out of focus'. The architectural feature on the lower right is completely wrong! I pasted it from an earlier panel, and thought I could 'Transform' it to fit the scene, as I did with the 2D image of the horseman - wishful thinking! I originally drew this as a set of coloured layers, each drawn rather than simply filling in between lines, so a significant amount of work for a minor detail. Also the floor pattern took me a long time (and is based architectural drawings of the actual location), but doesn't look great at this size: it may be I can 'take it down' through use of colour (i.e not having it against a white background).
Just as an experiment I 'transformed' and superimposed the original image. This was several colour/tone layers so not easy to replicate by other means. I selectively erased, distorted, and lightened parts to make it look better. I think the painterly out of focus effect works well in this panel, as the image is not being looked at by the characters, and for the reader, is more part of the general mis en scene: they saw in it the last page and don't need to get the detail again here.
I recreated the figures, for the version above. Despite them being small, I used 3D models: having established that level of realism elsewhere, I decided to stick to it. Also, it gave me some practice in using a more exaggerated perspective on the figures. I managed this okay on the first three of figures I did, (those on the left), and it was harder for the group to the - perhaps because the perspective was steeper on them. In the end I got something satisfactory for the front right figure, and slightly tweaked that for the pair behind him,. As well as saving some time it suited what was being depicted: a powerful man with his two 'followers'. I made the floor slightly paler, which seemed to help. I will look at this afresh tomorrow, and see if I can make any tweaks.
Leave a Reply.
Graham Johnstone ~ Master of Design - Comics and Graphic Novels student 2016-17